Wow! Bubbles is an honest-to-goodness, true-blue, old-school, comics-(and-manga)-fanzine. Running 32 magazine-size pages – with a 16-page, digest-size insert – Bubbles is a materialization of its creator's (creators') enthusiasm, clearly (a) serious fan(s). Their self-effacing dedication is evident in the fact that they neglected to credit themselves anywhere in the publication (that we could find)!
Here's what's in store in the first, jam-packed issue:
- In depth look at late 80s/early 90s alternative manga publisher Blast Books
- Interview with Hiroo Yamagata (Translator of Hideshi Hino's Hell Baby)
- Brief interview with Laura Lindgren (Founder of Blast Books)
- Interview with James Hudnall (Translation assistant of Mai, The Psychic Girl)
- Music From Nancy*** a retrospective, interviews with all 3 creators, Jesse Poimboeuf, Steve Sweet, Steve Cunningham, w/ 16 page insert of a Program for Music From Nancy!
- Interview with Shades7000 (Creator of the Scanlation Group 'You're Welcome')
- Short essays on comic book artifacts found on Ebay
- Comics you should read (reviews of contemporary comics)
- Translation of The Road Home by Kuniko Tsurita (from Garo #213)
Behold! The second issue of the old school print comics fanzine, Bubbles has arrived – seemingly a mere blink of the eye after the first! Clearly, this is no flash in the pan. Here we have another 36 pages of comics & manga love (although not so much of the latter, this time around), featuring in-depth interviews with Sammy Harkham, M. Thomas Inge, and Katherine Gates, along with the second installment of "eBay Finds" and "Comics You Should Read" – and more!
According to Bubbles, #3 features:
Interview with Brian Blomerth where we talk about his new book 'Bicycle Day'
Interview with Ryan Holmberg where we talk manga and translation
Interview with Tetsunori Tawaraya where we talk scifi, risograph printing and process
Interview with Bob Lewis where we talk comic collecting and lots more
Essay by M. Thomas Inge
The fifth issue of Bubbles, an Independent Fanzine About Comics & Manga is here!
This issue features:
Interview with Lale Westvind!
Interview with The New York Review Comics heads, Gabriel Winslow-Yost and Lucas Adams
Chris Pitzer Remembers Tom Spurgeon
Comic pages by: Nate McDonough, David Lasky, Hu Nguyen, Elliot Wyatt
Readers' Best of 2019 Lists (along with that of the editor/publisher, natch')
Idiotorial Thunk Piece by One of the Last Idiots to Join the Usual Gang by Marc J Palm
In other words: another great issue.